The spring market is right just about here and if you’re planning to buy or sell your home, you need to have the right people on your team. A key team player will be your real estate agent.
Of course it is the duty of the agent to get the best buyer or seller at the most appropriate price. But, what makes a good agent? What are the characteristics a buyer or seller should look for when choosing an agent to represent them?
Well, after careful consideration and some research, they can be narrowed down into 5 general characteristics:
- Good Character. First and foremost, you want someone who’s honest, patient, professional, straightforward and has integrity. You want someone who’s fair to all parties. If your agent isn’t fair to the party on the other side, chances are he/she won’t be fair with you if given the opportunity.
- Good Communication skills. You also want someone who communicates well and often. Better to have too much information, then not enough. And, you agent also needs to be accessible and responsive. Sure, everyone needs to have a life, but during crucial moments when offers are on the table, you want to make sure you can get in touch with your agent.You also want your agent to listen to what you say and understand your needs. No one wants to take time to go see a property with one bedroom when you’re looking for a place with three!You’re also looking for accuracy and attention to detail. No one wants to get important documents with errors. This just wastes everyone’s time.
- Passionate. You want your agent to be passionate about what he or she is doing. An agent who really has a passion for real estate will seek to know as much about it as he can and be on top of his game. He will know the market inside and out with information such as inventory, pricing, absorption rate, market cycle and buyer demand.
- Well connected and resourceful. You want an agent who knows how to get things done. She should have good list of people in her back pocket that she can call in a pinch when something needs to get done.
- An excellent negotiator. At the end of the day, you need someone who’s going to utilize all the characteristics above to close the deal.
That sums it up. Now, you may not be able to know for sure if the agent you’re about to meet or hire will satisfy all the characteristics above, but do your research, ask around and, above all, trust your instincts!
Great post. Real estate business is amongst the most rewarding businesses. You have provided really good information and ideas which are useful and people can understand better. Keep sharing…!!!!